Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pacific Crossing

It's hard to believe that it's only been a little over 24 hours since I've stepped foot onto the MV Explorer. It feels like it's been so much longer and so much shorter at the same time. Every minute has been booked and planned so far. So let's start at the beginning…

I was on the 9:15 bus from San Diego to Ensenada, which turned out to be more of a 10:15 bus by the time we actually got on. It was about a two hour bus ride from SD to Mexico, and I wish I had something interesting to say but it was pretty uneventful, aside from the fact that it was the bus that was taking us to the MV Explorer. I sat next to a girl who is going to be on my Women Writers Around the Globe class, and there were two guys from Washington sitting in front of me who actually knew where Bellingham was! WOOT WOOT!

Once we got off the bus, we had to go through security lines (it was like being at the airport all over again), and then we had to turn in our passports and yellow fever cards. AND THEN WE FINALLY GOT ONTO THE SHIP.

BUT THERE WERE MORE LINES.

Like 2 hours worth of lines. We had to make our way to the Union (which is the biggest room on the ship where we all congregate for meetings and pre ports, which is incidentally the worst part of the ship to be in for sea sickness, but we'll get to that later), and go through different stations such as Student Accounts, Field Programs, and such. To my parents, who I know are wondering, I haven't had to write a check yet. The student accounts station just made me sign a paper saying that I acknowledged that I had an outstanding balance and I would turn it in. So, when I'm supposed to pay, I'm not exactly sure.

After that we were able to go to our rooms, and I was able to meet my roommate! Her name is Gabby and she's from Long Island. She's pretty cool, seems like we'll get a long just fine. Her luggage was waiting for her when she got to our room, but I'm pretty sure mine was the last to be delivered. We had a life boat drill (which was really intense by the way), and we just basically had to stand in life jackets out on the deck while they shouted our the names of the people who were supposed to be in our group. Captain Jeremy (with his super regal accent) announced that in theory, we had all been safely evacuated and all was well. Just imagine the most captainy person who can imagine, then add a British accent on top of that. He's legit. Trust me.

Up until last night, sea sickness didn't really bother me. It was sort of just like being permanently disoriented and dizzy. Everyone is walking around slightly bent to one side, and at times we'll run into each other or make a diagonal beeline for the wall. It's weird, but this already seems normal. Apparently these waves are normal though, and this is what we're supposed to get used to. What's NOT normal is the fact that we're expecting 18 foot waves sometime in the near future. No. Not excited. Definitely not excited about this.

We sat in the Union last night for some orientation stuff, introduction of the faculty, and basically just the whole "get ready for your life to be changed in the greatest way possible" speeches from all the different Deans. There are too many Deans to keep track of. Oh, and we've been instructed to call Archbishop Desmond Tutu Arch. No big deal.

Finally after line upon line upon line, we were able to go back to our cabins. Gabby and I decided that we were way to tired to unpack so we just shoved everything into a corner and went to bed. The bed's are actually surprisingly comfortable, and the pillow that I vacuum sealed has actually come 90% back to life. It wasn't the greatest nights sleep I've every gotten, but it wasn't the worst either.

So like I said, seasickness didn't bother me last night. This morning I got up and was feeling good! I went to breakfast, turned around for a second, and realized that the Arch was literally sitting right behind me. I was eating french toast and Desmond Tutu was eating french toast right behind me. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

After breakfast, they (as in the Deans and such) had every minute packed with more orientation. I think we had more safety and community orientation for three hours, then lunch, then more. However, this morning in the Union, I wasn't feel so swell. The waves were a rolling and so was my stomach. I left the Union, went down to my room, and unfortunately my french toast did not stay in my stomach. I hope Desmond Tutu's did, because french toast coming up definitely does not taste as good as it was going down. Don't worry parentals, I'm feeling much better now, and that will teach me to take the free seasickness meds every morning for awhile. And definitely the night before each time we leave port.

As I'm writing this, I'm realizing that I'm forgetting to mention little things that have happened. I still have journaled, but honestly we have not had a free minute to do anything besides necessary unpacking or orientation since I got on the ship.

Well, Emily and I are headed to the Union to learn more about clubs and groups! Goodbye from the middle of the Pacific Ocean, somewhere in-between Ensenada and Hawaii.

No comments:

Post a Comment