Wednesday, February 15, 2012

$1.10

Today I spent $1.10.

On what, you may ask?

Well that is a very good question.

On my Semester at Sea application of course!

I'm happy to announce that I have officially sent in everything required by SAS (and more) to be considered a full and complete application.  HURRAY!  After about two years of researching, emailing representatives, reading blogs of past participants, emailing said participants, and basically everything else under the sun and over the ocean, I have finally (FINALLY!) sent in my application.

And so the process (finally) begins...

If this doesn't inspire me to start fundraising, I don't know what will.  An acceptance letter will inspire, no doubt, but now that I've finally got the ball rolling, I need to keep it rolling.  I still can't believe it's been two plus years since I first looked into SAS.  At first I was convinced that I was going to do a gap year Fall 2011.  But as time went on, I realized that it wasn't really a possibility, so I moved my sites to Spring 2012.  I kept researching, but I got caught up in all my other high school requirements that that voyage slipped through my hands as well.  So then I decided on Fall 2012.  Whoever said the the third times a charm obviously hasn't planned for SAS.  I started planning my voyage for 2012 before they even had an itinerary out.  When the itinerary finally was released, it was disappointing to find that the around the world voyage was replaced with what they titled "Atlantic Exploration"--visiting more developed countries and South America.

Since one of the major reasons I want to participate in SAS revolves around me being able to visit third world/developing nations, Fall 2012 didn't exactly appeal to me in the same way.  So, I decided on Spring 2013.  At this point in time, I was a senior in high school, and Spring 2013 wasn't even close to being released.

But now here we are, February 2012, and there's less than a year until Spring 2013 departs from California.  And the cherry on top of it all?!  An actual real cherry, no sarcastic behavior going on here.  Spring 2013 debarks in Barcelona!  Which means I'll be able to relive my Flamenco glory days and possibly visit Paris, which I've been wanting to do for years.

Let's hope everything is fine with the application process and fundraising.  Spring 2014 just doesn't have the same ring to it...

No comments:

Post a Comment